Friday 28 December 2012

What's in the Crockpot Tonight?

Currently I have one of our two favorite curry dishes in the slow-cooker.  Today has been a busy day, and as we are still recovering from the busyness of Christmas, a meal in the crock pot was very appealing.
  

Source

So tonight, we are having Durban Style Chicken Curry.  A friend found this recipe in the newspaper of all places and shared it with me- it has been a family favorite since.  

Like the Butter Chicken we serve it over Quinoa, but rice would do too.  This dish is also gluten, wheat, dairy, and egg free, but has been enjoyed by all!

You can find the recipe here.

Notes:   
  • If you are very sensitive to gluten, make sure you use a gluten free curry powder, just in case there is some hidden in the various spices, starches, and/or flavorings.

  • I only ever use 3 chicken thighs and shred the chicken before serving.  I find this to be more cost efficient and still satisfying.
  • I freeze the leftovers with the leftover quinoa & veggies and send it with my hubby on days that he needs a dinner.  

 


   

1 comment:

  1. As someone who rarely plans ahead and never has all of the ingredients required in the house, I'm happy to report that I made this:

    - With pork instead of chicken
    - With plain yogurt instead of coconut milk (sorry to the no-dairy people!)
    - No sugar
    - No crockpot (did I mention that I am awful at planning ahead and had about 45 minutes before my stomach did that attractive growling noise?)
    - And I added potatoes, carrots, and beans because I'm lazy and washing less pots is awesome.

    Great recipe! I'm eating the leftovers at this very minute!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.