Friday 22 March 2013

Free Chicken Nuggets

My favorite meal of all time is chicken nuggets. 



I grew up eating the ones you buy from the grocery store and occasionally enjoyed the fast food version.  Then I got married.  It didn't work for us to go to the drive thru every time I had a craving and I was determined to not buy processed food- so I learned to make my own.   

I have tried a number of recipes, all which disappointed and then I found it.  I found a chicken nugget recipe that inspired me to make my own version.  

I am confident that I will be feeding my version to my grandchildren one day.  

It is fast and easy and in fact, my husband is usually the one to make it!

If you haven't tried this recipe already, give it a try.  I promise you won't be disappointed...unless you use vanilla flavored Rice Krispies.  
 
Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets*, feeds 4

Ingredients:

  • 2 Chicken breasts
  • 1/3 cup olive oil (+ extra on hand if you run out)
  • 3-4 cups gluten free Rice Krispies, crushed**
  • 3 tbsp of gluten free flour

Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
  3. Crush rice krispies (by hand or with food processor) and add flour.  Put in bowl and set aside.
  4. Cut defrosted chicken into chunks/strips and put on plate.
  5. Pour olive oil in a bowl
  6. Begin an assembly line until all of the chicken has been used   
    • dip chicken in olive oil
    • dip chicken in Rice Krispie mixture
    • put on pan  
    7. Sprinkle/drizzle any leftover krispies/oil over top.
    8. Bake in the oven until the meat is white in  the center (about 30 minutes).  Flip half way
      through.
Easy Peasy!
Notes: 
*Don't be fooled by the Gluten Free aspect.  A) they are still delicious...like actually and B) use regular Rice Krispies and white flour and you are able to have gluten.

** I keep a jar of crushed Rice Krispies on handWhen it is low, I use my blender and make some more
  



2 comments:

  1. I saw this on Pintrest and can't wait to try making them for my son - It sounds so good!

    Do you use the Gluten Free Rice Krispies? (I know that the regular ones have malt flavoring in them - which is made from barley and means that they contain gluten)

    M.W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi M.W, they are delicious and I am sure your son will enjoy them! Yes, I use Gluten Free Rice Krispies and they work just as well as regular ones.

    Enjoy!

    Tara-Lynn

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.