Sunday 23 December 2012

Saving the Best for Last: Confetti Squares

I have two brothers-in-law and they love my baking.  In fact, they have been known to write me songs in exchange for it, which is pretty sweet since one of them is actually a musician.


In a moment I will too give you this recipe, but first a story.

This month, I was involved in a baking exchange.  So I made 7 dozen of these bad boys, and to the chagrin of my in-laws, I gave most of them away.  But in exchange I got these:

Sugar Cookies, Chocolate Shortbread, Ginger Sparkle Cookies, Egg Nog Cookies....

& my fav- Kahlua Rum Balls.

I wasn't able to eat any of the items, but the party was still fun and it stocked my freezer with a diversity of baked goods to bring to various Christmas-time events

I have a confession though, I cheated on the Kahlua Rum Balls...I ate all 7!!  I paid for it, but they did inspire me to figure out how to make them dairy free next year- perhaps with coconut milk.

Anyways, back to the Confetti Squares. I first got this recipe from my grandma's cookbook.  I am not sure where the original recipe came from since she was probably making these decades ago


Confetti Squares**- yields about 16 squares

1. Prepare a 9x9 pan by spraying with cooking spray or by lining with parchment paper.  

2. In a double broiler*, melt together while stirring frequently:
  • 1 package of Hershey Butterscotch Chipits
  • 1/4 cup margarine/butter
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter

3. When melted, stir in:
  • 2 cups of colored marshmallows
4. Spread in prepared pan & refrigerate until firm to the touch.    

Notes:  
* If you don't have a double broiler, just find a bowl that fits into a pot (without touching the bottom).  Boil water in the pot on low heat and watch your ingredients melt while stirring vigorously

**I think these are classified as egg & gluten free, but to be sure I would check the ingredient labels, especially for the coloring on the butterscotch chips. 

***These freeze really well.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.