Saturday 5 January 2013

Ice Cream without the Bloating


A long time ago I realized that I may never be able to enjoy a cold bowl of delicious ice cream again.  Yeah, sure there is coconut ice cream and soy ice cream, which aren't too bad, but let's face it, they just aren't the same.

However I have been pleasantly surprised lately and I have eaten a fair amount of ice cream.  Specifically, ice cream that was really good, and not made of coconut or soy!

One of these surprises came when someone bought me some gluten and lactose free ice cream:
http://images.chickadvisor.com/item/5285/large/default.jpg
I think they have a couple of flavors in most grocery stores
I am usually pretty hesitant to buy items like this just in case it turns out to be gross.  But let me tell you, the Butter Pecan flavor I had was quite good.  It is full of cream, but whatever Chapman's did to take the lactose out, it worked for me - I didn't even bloat!  So as long as you are only lactose intolerant, and not allergic to (or avoiding) dairy, this may be an option for you.

There is also another way I have enjoyed ice cream.  Have you ever been to Menchie's?

I heard about Menchie's from a co-worker, so I brought my ice cream loving husband there for a date. 

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjKjs6avvABonWSMSLS4_3WlUSBOMHyzGkas3N4ICIBlIRVHY8r6Fh8X0OYX7Y_MY4dNl7fbD_v7_FkaiRKN8on1wCLXOwEVyb_UUeFhZhuLeclibbDvQbaNRjWM_Jn7Rrql15RxjQXohg/s1600/menchies.jpg
source

I went with some tea to drink, vowing not to 'cheat' and planning to just enjoy watching Dan eat his ice cream.  This all changed when I learned that they have two gluten free and dairy free sorbets, along with a number of gluten free options (for those that can have dairy but not gluten).  I believe they have vegan options too.  So if you can't have eggs, this may be for you too!

I tried my hardest not to fill my whole cup with Strawberry Sorbet swirled with Triple Berry Sorbet. I then chose from the numerous toppings, trying my best to stick to the ones that I could eat (though I think I may have cheated a little). It turned out pretty good!




I don't know where you live, but Menchie's seems to be all over the world, so check out their website for the one closest to you.  And perhaps you can once again share some ice cream with a loved one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.