Tuesday 26 March 2013

What will go in your Megalunch? Part 1

I am currently in week 2 of Spring Break.  So far it has been great- I can't say I have done too much other than catch up on life and sleep as well as some homework that I was falling behind on.

One of the 'life things' I had to catch up on was cooking.  I cooked and baked to my heart's content- it was lovely.

I like to fill our freezer with soups, sweets, and dinners so when life gets hectic we have ready made food for lunch and dinner. It also helps us save a load of money from not eating out because we usually have things in the freezer.

This is what I called organized chaos...don't judge me, ok!

Right now, I don't have kids and this is totally doable...we'll see if this is still the case in a few years.

This week's agenda includes: meatballs, pizza, and perogies.  There is also a family birthday coming up, so I am going to give my ice cream cake another try.

Today I share with you about my favorite cookie trick...who doesn't love cookies?

Dan loves cookies!  Who am I kidding...I love them too! But Dan loves the ones made with wheat.  And though we occasionally have a bag of cookies in the house, I try to entice him with homemade cookies because they are healthier and cheaper (I'd like to think so at least!).



I adore fresh baked, out of the oven, warm cookies.  So, I have a little trick when it comes to cookies...I make them and roll them, but instead of putting them in the oven I put them in the freezer.  When frozen, I throw them in a container and pull them out whenever we want to serve fresh baked cookies to our guests or to ourselves.

I will also bake up some cookies, as well as loaves, wrap them individually in plastic wrap and toss them in the freezer.  When it is time to make Dan's megalunch*, he has baked goods to tie him over for a few days.




















*Dan is away a couple of days every week for school.  To help our budget, he has agreed to rarely eat out.  In return he brings a megalunch, consisting of 2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, snacks galore, and a dinner. It is huge.  Having ready to go freezer soups and snacks makes this doable.



Now what would a blog post be without a recipe, so here are the recipes that I used this week**. 



Notes:
**I made these for Dan, so I used white flour and omitted the xanthan gum.  They turned out great!
*** I adapted the dutch apple loaf, but will share about those next week- it was so good that it deserves it's own post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.