Friday 18 January 2013

Freezer Soup Stock-up has Begun!

When I first married my husband, he was quite content eating canned beans, kraft dinner and chunky soups.  I was determined to help him eat a bit healthier so instead of trying to change him, I just made him something he couldn't resist.

For a couple of years now,I have been making my own soups.

I love making my own for a number of reasons:
  • I can control what goes into the soups, therefore healthier
  • I can stock my freezer in just an afternoon of soup making
  • I can make them for cheaper than buying a can of soup
  • They are a great quick meal when we don't have time to cook or don't know what to eat
  • There is so much variety!
  • I love using canning jars
There are a number of soups in our rotation; many which I will share with you over time.  But today's soup of the day is "Vegetable Barley".  If you are avoiding gluten, see note *  below, otherwise just make it as is!

Vegetable Barley Soup from 100 Best Health Foods Cookbook


Hearty Barley* Vegetable Soup (Serves 3-4**)
Adapted from 100 Best Health Foods Cookbook

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, crushed
  • 6 cups vegetable stock, or water***
  • 1 bay leaf, dash of thyme & parsley
  • 2 carrots, peeled & diced   
  • 1/3 cup barley, quinoa or rice*
  • Pinch of sugar
  • 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
  • Salt & Pepper


Steps:
  1. Heat the oil and add onion, celery, garlic heating for 5-7 minutes until softened
  2. Pour in stock/water and bring to a boil, skimming off any foam.  Add spiced & barley
  3. Simmer 30 minutes until grains are starting to soften
  4. Add carrots, tomatoes & sugar
  5. Bring back to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes until grains and carrots are soft/tender

4Notes:

 *Now I know that barley is not gluten free and you can read why here.  If you are looking for a gluten free version, substitute the barley for quinoa or rice.

** I usually double this recipe and get 6-8 canning jars worth

***Our broth of choice is Knorrs Vegetable Broth, though it is not labeled gluten free, many seem to think it is. I would be cautious of the 'coloring' and 'natural vegetable seasonings', so if cannot have even traces of gluten, I would opt for making my own or finding a gluten free version.
 
****This recipe freezes really well




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.