Tuesday 22 January 2013

I'll say Yes to this Ring!

I love to eat regular food! My goal is to find and create food that regular people will like too.  So I can't help myself but get very excited when I find a long lost love that has come back in it's delicious gluten free version.


Last week I was making our usually Friday night meal of Chicken Nuggets.  I had a fridge full of onions and some extra Rice Krispie mix.  I grabbed my newly acquired mandolin and attempted to make onion rings...though one could argue that they are not rings at all.  They would be right, I am still learning how to use my mandolin.  I got about 3 rings, the rest were more like...strips or chunks.  See exhibit A below.


Not pretty, but still delicious!


Regardless of their shape they were worthy of being called onion rings. I am convinced that I could put that Rice Krispie mix on anything and magic would happen....

And best of all, it was really easy and turned out great!  My onion-hating husband had one and walked away, which meant more for me!

Crispy Gluten-Free Onion Rings- serves as many as you want

1. Slice onions into rings (using a knife or mandolin)
2. Dip onions into oil then into Rice Krispie Mix
3. Place on greased cookie sheet
4. repeat steps 2 & 3 until you have used up all of your onions
5. Cook at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes (but check frequently & flip, because the thin ones burn)
6. Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then serve.


1 comment:

  1. I was at this cool restaurant, the other day, and they had puffed quinoa coated onion rings. I have no idea how they did them, but they were heavenly. I thought of you and how much you would have loved them.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.