Tuesday 16 April 2013

Got the Munchies?


Over spring break I went to the library and took out a dozen cookbooks. I finally had a chance to look through them and am happy to report that I found a few recipes that look great.

I tried this one and it proved to be a great snack!

Spiced Pecan-Cherry Crunch Mix Recipe
Spiced-Cherry Crunch Mix from Cooking Light Gluten Free Cookbook
I changed it up a bit and am pretty happy about it.  In fact, I am eating the rest of the batch as I type this.  Both sweet and salty; it hits the spot.

I have adapted the recipe and will share with you what I did:

Snack Mix
Adapted from Cooking Light Gluten Free Cookbook

Ingredients:
  • 1 large egg white
  • 1/4 cup sugar *
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 2 cups gluten free rice krispies**
  • 1/3 cup chopped almonds***
  • 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (toasted)
  • 1/3 cup dried cranberries
  • 1 tsp grated orange rind****
Directions :
  1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees
  2. Line a cookie sheet with tinfoil and coat with cooking spray
  3. In a medium bowl, beat egg white with a mixer until foamy
  4. Combine sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg, in a separate bowl.  Add sugar mixture to beaten egg white, 1 tbsp at a time beating until stiff peaks form
  5. Fold in cereal as well as next 3 ingredients.  
  6. Spread mixture on cookie sheets and bake for 20 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes.
  7. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack and store in a airtight container.

Notes:
* Next time I am going to try 1/8th cup of sugar or try to omit completely
** Don't want it to be gluten free? just use regular rice krispies or be adventurous and use your favorite cereal.
*** I might try to toast the almonds next time too, I love that taste
**** I learned that I really don't enjoy orange flavor, so I will omit the orange rind.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.